SCAM WARNING

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SCAM WARNING

Post by The Unbunny on Thu May 31, 2012 6:59 pm

A very sneaky Internet-based con came to my attention yesterday. My intent here is to advise everyone how it works and recommend you steer clear.

How it works: You receive a phone call from a gentleman stating he is from Windows. He confirms you own a computer and that you have an internet connection. He then advises you that your computer has become infected and if you have a moment he will show you how to tell. He gives you an Internet URL such as this:

http://rescuetrojansservant.in/78dee9e271084cb2/40/
(NOTE: this URL is BOGUS, it does not actually scan your computer! This is a website that looks like an antivirus routine but is a fraud. You can safely ignore the “results” this site shows you.)(not all scammers use the same URL)

and invites you to use it to remotely scan your computer. Once you have the “evidence” in front of you, he tells you that he has good news; that this is actually an easy problem to fix and that he can push software to your computer to fix this problem and prevent it occurring again.

Websites he may use to prove how legitimate he is may include the following:
www.24x7pcfix.com
and the secure payment website for your convenience to pay for the cure may look something like this:
http://paysecuregateway.net/pay.php

The tell: If a stranger calls you to tell you that you have a virus on your computer, it’s probably a "phishing" technique much like the attempts to get credit card or bank information from you. If you become concerned that you may actually have a problem, you should initiate a call to a technician you know to be legitimate and have your machine checked. DO NOT use the phone number the scammer will courteously offer you and DO NOT ask him to help you out.

Thank you for your time. I hope this helps!
The Unbunny
Duke of Oh Look I Agroed
Duke of Oh Look I Agroed

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top